Garden Fresh Recipe Guide
Spring is here, and we can only think of one way to celebrate, with food! And what better way to enjoy your favorite Spring food than by growing it yourself! That's right, all you need is your average backyard garden to grow your favorite pizza toppings or fresh salsa.
Garden Veggie Pizza
This delicious pizza is made with delicious garlic white sauce, along with garden fresh vegetables to create a perfect spring meal! While not all the ingredients can be direct from your garden, you can certainly grow the majority. You can view the full recipe below, ingredients you can grow yourself include spinach, artichokes, squash, zucchini, red onion, green onion and oregano.
- 1 ball pizza dough (store bough or homemade*)
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 c. whole milk
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. kosher sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/3 c. Parmesan cheese
FOR THE TOPPINGS:
- 3/4 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 c. shredded Monterrey jack cheese
- 1/2 c. chopped fresh spinach
- 1/4 c. drained and diced marinated artichokes
- 1/2 yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 1/2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp. diced red onion
- 2 tbsp. sliced green onion
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp. kosher sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- To make sauce, in a small saucepan set over medium heat, melt butter. Add minced garlic, stir and cook for 1 minute. Add flour, cook for 1 minute. Add milk and whisk continuously until a smooth. As the mixture thickens, season with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Simmer for 5 minutes, then reduce from heat and add the Parmesan. Let cool for 15 minutes before using.
- Roll out the dough into a 16″ circle. Place on the pizza pan, then fold the overhanging dough over to form the crust. Press the edge to seal. Brush with olive oil, then bake for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Spread the sauce over the pizza peel, then top with spinach, artichokes, mozzarella cheese and Monterrey jack cheese. Add the zucchini, yellow squash, red onion, diced tomato, green onion, oregano, red pepper, salt & pepper.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, allow to cool for 8 minutes before slicing and serving.
Garden Fresh Salsa
Direct from the garden, this salsa recipe is perfect for enjoying outside on a nice Spring day, using ingredients from your own backyard! The best part about this recipe is you can grow almost every single ingredient in your own garden, with the exception of lime juice and salt. The ingredients you can grow are tomatoes, onions, sweet peppers, jalapeno peppers, cilantro and garlic. The full recipe is below.
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped sweet (green, red or yellow) pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup minced cilantro
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 teaspoons of chopped jalapeno pepper
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Rinse and clean off all picked vegetables.
- Dice and chop all vegetables as noted in the ingredients.
- Put everything except the tomatoes into a food processor to chop a little further.
- Then add the tomatoes and “pulse” until the mixture is the texture you like.
- Serve with chips, crackers, etc.
Recipe from: Garden in Minutes